5 Ways to Prepare Appliances for Moving
If you’re planning to move your appliances to your new home and you’ve hired a moving company, it’s best to prepare these appliances yourself for the move. To prepare your appliances for your move, follow these five steps.
- Let your movers know that they will be moving appliances. This allows your moving company to make the proper arrangements to properly transfer your appliances. You should then contact the manufacturer to understand the proper way of disconnecting and moving the appliance. You can also refer to the owner’s manual (if you still have it) to read on the proper way to disconnect and move it. If you do not have the owner’s manual, go to www.appliances411.com. They’re likely to have the manual you’re looking for archived.
- Unplug the fridge a full 24 hours before the move. This will allow everything to come to room temperature and allow you to clean the inside to avoid any mildew growth or odor. After everything has been cleaned and dried, including the ice maker, take out all the drawers and any moving parts to prevent them from jostling around in the moving van.
- Empty your dishwasher and unplug your stove. As much of a pain it is, you cannot transfer a dishwasher full of dishes, regardless if they’re clean or dirty. This will help to avoid an unwanted mess in the back of the moving van and decrease any chance of breaking your belongings. For the stove, be sure to make sure that the gas has been shut off and disconnect all lines and cords. This is normally done by a professional, so refer to your manufacturer or manual.
- Disconnect your microwave. Again, consult the owner’s manual, but it’s important to note that you should never block the air vent when reinstalling your microwave into your new home.
- Cushion all appliances and keep the wires together and tangle-free. When it comes to moving, make it as stress-free as possible by keeping all wires and attachments labeled and neat to prevent tangling. This will take the guesswork out of which wires go to which appliance and avoid the endless puzzle of untangling the countless wires.
Need help moving your appliances? Contact E-Z Move!
When it comes to moving your appliances, the most important thing is to find a mover that you trust. E-Z Move has been a trusted Tucson moving company since 1999, so you can rest assured that your items will be transported safely and efficiently. Call us today at 520-808-0347 to schedule your next adventure!